FG, JOHESU move to end strike

The Federal Government and the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU) went into a series of meetings on Thursday in their renewed efforts to end the ongoing strike by the health workers.

The union and the government, it was learnt had made progress toward resolving the grey areas and end the strike.

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngigie, said on Thursday in Abuja that the government had been having a series of meeting with the leadership of the striking health workers.

According to the minister, marathon meetings were held on Wednesday, while the meeting would also reconvene later yesterday.

He said that the CONHESS table that corresponds with the 2014 CONMESS adjustment with the medical doctors has been appropriately addressed by the National Salary Income and Wages Commission.

The minister said that this had been given as an offer in the spirit of equity.

He, however, pleaded with the striking workers to call off the nationwide strike in the interest of the public.

JOHESU commenced the strike on April 17, 2018 following the government’s failure to implement the agreement it reached with the union.

The union’s demands include an adjustment of CONHESS salary as done for CONMESS since 2014, and abolition of scale-to-scale promotion, payment of outstanding arrears of promotion, skipping and relativity.

Others are autonomy of teaching and specialist hospitals, non-execution of court judgments, review of retirement age from 60 to 65 years as done for teachers in the tertiary schools. (NAN)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *